What's Inside a Healthy Pantry?
Winter is right around the corner and fresh produce will slowly dwindle in availability. Stocking your pantry with these essential items will not only save you the headache of missing an ingredient for a recipe, but also ensure optimal nutrition no matter the season!
What to look for:
- Shelf stable proteins - Legumes, beans, chickpeas
- Whole grain starches - Quinoa, rice, pasta, granola
- Heart healthy fats - oils (avocado, olive or canola), seeds, and nut butters
- Low sodium canned items – diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, green beans, mackerel/tuna/salmon, coconut milk, soups, chili, fire roasted chiles, pumpkin, pitted olives, sliced beets, and artichoke hearts
What to avoid with canned items:
- Over 3g saturated fat per serving
- Over 300mg sodium per serving
- Highly processed meats (i.e. Spam)
- Added sugars (~10g added sugar per serving)
- Long list of strange ingredients
Healthful tip – frozen items are just as nutritious as fresh! When available choose frozen fruit and vegetables over canned options.